6 August 2013

LinkedIn Policy (Read, before you try to add me)

 I wrote this note for few reasons:
  1. Explain my approach to LinkedIn.
  2. Recruiters, please read this FIRST!
  3. Why I will/did NOT add you.
  4. How to contact with me in a professional manner as it seems to be an epic problem for 99% people(especially recruiters who ignore this post anyway).
  5. What I think LinkedIn should add.
  6. FAQ


About my approach to LinkedIn
I created the account on LinkedIn as I need an account that I can use for professional purposes only. I want to add all valuable contacts for my career or hobby needs.
I am happy if somebody finds me on LinkedIn and want to connect me due to various interesting reasons, like discuss blog entries, my android application or any talk about experience related to my professional and semi-professional work.
However .... I receive quadrillion invitations from some bizarre people, who sent a default message and expecting me to accept it but sadly I am not teenager in secondary school who need as many friends on Facebook as possible.


Recruiters, please read this FIRST
Thank you very much for interest in my profile on LinkedIn.

Thank you very much for interest in my profile on LinkedIn.


    The due unexpected large amount of LinkedIn requests and my unusual approach to LinkedIn, I created this blog entry to explain 2 things and help you decided is worth time to contact me and avoid waste my and your time. It may sound a bit harsh, but I want to save my precious time.


1. Can you add me on LinkedIn? 

No. 

2. I have an interesting job for you, so what you are looking for?


You can find in this document

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qQ9hx3FRYJvWu2kZTi3Rn8kIIfKTCin4E7iA8XK2DFc/

If 'amazing and cutting-edge' job doesn't match these criteria then I am not interested. Sorry for any inconvenience that may cause.


If you read this blog entry. Let me know (Use sentence: " I confirm, that I read your blog entry titled 'Dear Recruiter!'  ". I will be much nicer to you because you proved that you pay attention to what I wrote on LinkedIn :).




Why I did/will NOT add you?


  • You are Recruiter/Spammer or other evil-like person/company
  • You sent me a message: "Hi dominik, I'd like to connect with you on LinkedIn."(See next paragraph, who to write meaningful message
  • You are not professional related mate/friend/enemy.
  • Your profile is incomplete (no picture) or data in your profile is hidden from me.
  • If your LinkedIn invite says you know me but  I don't know you (for example, you lied that you were a former classmate or we have done business together, then if you start from lie, then you are not worth anything.



How to contact with me in professional manner as it seems to be an epic problem for 99% people(especially recruiters who ignore this post anyway)?

So, if You are one of these people.


I am the delight, that in the ocean of LinkedIn Users, You, a valuable person for whatever reason decided to contact with me.

Thank YOU!

As long as you are NOT recruiter*(see the bottom of this post for details), then ... Feel free to contact me by e-mail,. via Google+ or LinkedIn.I am very happy with that.


However...

I sincerely apologize, but I am normal human and do not have mind reader, PRISM or another tool to figure out who you are and what you want so it will be really marvelous if you instead of sending


"Hi dominik,
I'd like to connect with you on LinkedIn."

send something like:

Hi Dominik!(Doominik, Pastor Cmentarny, CheesecakeFanatic, whatever)

I am Amazing Person from Explosive Diarrhea Company and I want to add you as I want to add you as I would like talk with you about the comment to your Android app called Doms Diagnostic Tools as I found a problem, that I can't solve it, but myself.


Thanks!

Bye!

I know who you want you to want and  I am happy to add you as  I always trying contact people with a friendly manner. I know in world of conversation where everybody must follow by soulless templates of sentences is weird ,but I like inter-personal communication in natural (inter-human) way. Otherwise I can write software ( a bot) to talk with machine as I don't need fake people for that.


So the pattern is:


Hello!


Who you are?

Why you want to contact me?

Say bye or whatever.


As if I get

"Hi dominik,
I'd like to connect with you on LinkedIn."
I response with:


Dear unknown person/spambot/hacker!
I am the delight, that in ocean of LinkedIn Users, You, a valuable person for whatever reason decided to contact with me.
Thank YOU!
However...
I am sincerely apologize,but I am normal human and do not have mind reader ,PRISM or other tool to figure out who you are and what you want,so it will be really marvellous ,if you instead of sending
"Hi dominik,
I'd like to connect with you on LinkedIn" 
which is meaningless for me.
It will be epic,if you would like to send message with few informations like:
* Why I have privilege to add you ?
* What is your inquiry or why you are very keen/desperate ( or other template word you are using ) to speak/write to me?
and give more details, then I will be very happy to add you.
I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
I just do not add unknown/crap people by default as I keep LinkedIn account for professional purposes only.

Have a marvellous day!
 Dominik Symonowicz"
and waiting few hours and then report spam, if not response.  I just don't want to waste my time to deal with the recruiter and other crap and I hope LinkedIn add functionality to make recruiter account type so I as a user can block contacts from spammers .. sorry .. recruiters.


What I think LinkedIn should add
Dear LinkedIn ... please add recruiter account type and allow innocent users to block contact from lazy recruiters spammers to make LinkedIn enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment